Saturday, February 13, 2021

Fun with touchscreen applications using Raspberry Pi

When I purchased my Raspberry Pi and the official LCD touchscreen I was always curious if the Pi could have some fancy touch UI applications. I guess daily swiping on my iPhone had perhaps raised my expectation from the Pi. The Pi assembled with the touchscreen looked like a mobile device and the natural tendency was to swipe, pinch and zoom but there were no applications. The Raspberry Pi OS is not exactly touch friendly, hence began my quest to develop some touch based interactions using Qt. I bought a touchscreen monitor and the experience is described below.




I installed Ubuntu Studio on to the Pi itself along with Qt as described in my previous post. I created some QML based applications and the results looked very good. The full hd monitor was connected to the Pi using a HDMI lead and usb touch cable which handled touch inputs.

However installing full blown Ubuntu OS did not seem right. The applications felt sluggish and the touch experience was poor. I realised a custom minimal operating system which would just run my application without any overheads will do the trick here. How we achieve that will be the topic of my future posts.

Please let me know your thoughts below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun with Yocto, Qt and Raspberry Pi 4: Embedded browser based scalable entertainment and business app

I want to share my experience of how I went about creating a embedded browser based application which would work on a  tiny 7 inch lcd displ...