Monday, February 15, 2021

Fun with Yocto and Raspberry Pi: Would Apple Mac be suitable for development environment?

I thought this may be of use to someone out there. I created two virtual machines, both running Ubuntu OS. I took care to use the Ubuntu version as speficied on the Yocto website for a virtual machine which I labelled as Build. The other one I labelled as Dev which was using latest version of Ubuntu OS and had Qt Creator and all the developer tools installed. The idea was that I will build my custom linux image on the Build virtual machine and develop applications in Qt on the Dev virtual machine. The reason this separation was required because Yocto does not necessarily supports the latest Ubuntu OS which I had found after wasting few weeks. So an environment was required which would have a same release of Ubuntu OS for some time to come.

Here is the screenshot of my mac running these two virtual machines

 

The Build virtual machine required around 16GB of RAM and 300 GB of free hard disk space. The Dev virtual machine I configured it to use 4GB of RAM. I was able to use Qt Creator without any hiccups on this virtual machine. I also installed Qt on the mac itself just in case for occassional testing purposes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun with Yocto, Qt and Raspberry Pi 4: Embedded browser based scalable entertainment and business app

I want to share my experience of how I went about creating a embedded browser based application which would work on a  tiny 7 inch lcd displ...